Ruins of Urakami Cathedral

Here are the shattered ruins of a cathedral, with a great dome fallen onto the ground. on top of the rubble of the building.

Known as Urakami, the district around the hypocenter (ground zero) area had been populated for centuries by Japanese people of the Roman Catholic faith. At the time of the bombing, between 15,000 and 16,000 Catholics — the majority of the approximately 20,000 people of that faith in Nagasaki and about half of the local population – lived in the Urakami district.

The Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum: 1945.8.9 11:02 a.m.

This Catholic church, which had devotees numbering 14,000 was destoroyed beyond recognition. Father Saburo Nishida and some ten parishiners were crushed to death by the falling debris. … Urakami Cathedral was once the largest church in the Orient. Located about 500 meters northeast of the hypocenter, it collapsed and burned as a result of the atomic bomb explosion. … The statues were blackened by the flash of heat and fires, and the stone pillars shifted from their bases under the force of the blast.

The Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum: The Ruins of Urakami Cathedral

Post a reply

By:
Your e-mail address will not be published.
Reply: